Discovering new blogs through The Liebster Award4:38 AM
Months (and months and months) ago, Kiera tagged me for The Leibster Award. I'm finally getting around to doing it!
Kiera is from the UK and she blogs about beauty and fashion. She has me lemming for accessories, and I love her quirky photos.
What is the Liebster Award?I don't know how it started (closest I could find was this post), but basically it's a chain letter type deal for bloggers who have under 200 followers. Liebster means "dearest" in German. This is not an actual award, there is no winner -- except people like me who love discovering new blogs. :p As far as I've seen, the rules differ from blog to blog. These are the rules I was given:
- List 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions which are given to you by your nominator
- Ask 11 new questions for all the bloggers that you nominate to win the award
- Nominate 9 bloggers with less than 200 followers to win the award
- Go to each of the blogger's pages to let them know about their nomination
- Thank the blogger who nominated you by mentioning them and link it back to their blog on your post
At its heart though, the Liebster Award is about sharing new blogs that you think others would like to read as well.
For your consideration
11 random facts about me
- I named this blog "eula sleeps" because "shine a light" was taken. Seriously. Love that song. Basically the theme song of a med student. And in that vein...I love sleeping. Haha.
- I say "mwah" when I beso (air-kiss) people. I don't know how it started, but I can't seem to stop.
- I suck at remembering birthdays. The only birthdays I know by heart are mine and my siblings'. So if I miss greeting you on your birthday please don't take it personally, but feel free to get mad at me about it. Who knows, your rageface just might make me remember.
- Books I can read again and again are Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (obvs), Card's Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin tears my little black heart apart), Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (deliciously wacky), Wrede's Dealing with Dragons series (hilarious!), McCafferty's Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings (Marcus Flutie *swoooon*), Spinelli's Stargirl (teeeeaaars), Kipling's The Jungle Books (both, so colonial yet lyrical), and Burnett's A Little Princess (always!).
- Books I think every kid should read are Ende's The Neverending Story, Spinelli's Stargirl, Kipling's The Jungle Books (both), and Burnett's A Little Princess.
- Movies I will recommend to anyone are Léon: The Professional (Natalie Portman's first and best role + Crazy Gary Oldman = WIN), Fight Club (male homoeroticism at its best), El Orfanato (The Orphanage, haunting Spanish cinema), and Let the Right One In (wonderfully constructed Swedish film based on a terrifically creepy book of the same name).
- Fandoms I have been, or are, in include Lord of the Rings (again, obvs), Harry Potter (nostalgia!), Supernatural (hunky bros in love with each other), Veronica Mars (love KBell!), Chuck (formulaic but hilarious), Merlin (cute boys again in love with each other), The Office US (omgicanteven), Nickelodeon's Avatar (surprisingly mature and very well-made cartoon), and Heroes (because, well, Heroes!).
- I am a Disney kid, princesses and fishes and all, but I'm not sure I would let my future daughter watch any of the Disney Princess movies before she was 10 years old.
- I love taho. Cold, warm, from a gourmet kiosk in the mall, off the street, all of it.
- I'm considered legally blind in North America and most of Europe.
- I still haven't found my perfect nude lipstick.
11 questions from Kiera
- What is your favourite make up brand? I don't have one! (Yet?) I believe in diversity in makeup. A brand may make some products really well, other products not so much.
- What are you like with money (saver/spender)? Oh nooo hahaha I'm a cheapskate at heart but I do indulge when it comes to shoes and dresses. And film for my camera.
- What is your blog/youtube about? This blog is about anything that strikes my fancy! Mostly beauty-related things like makeup and skincare, but also crafty shenanigans, plus the occasional movie and tech talk.
- Who inspired you to get a blog/youtube account? This one? Probably Liz (Project Vanity). She keeps coming up with fresh content, every day. Reading her day after day, I decided I wanted a fresh start for more focused content (whether I achieved that is arguable) and a new URL, so I relaunched my online presence in this blog.
- Who is your favourite youtuber/blogger? I have so many! For Youtube probably Jen (frmheadtotoe), just because she has the same eye shape and undertone as me. After watching like 5 of her eye makeup tutorials, I picked up a brush and suddenly it was super easy to do a smokey eye.
- How would you describe your style? Ngek. Do I have one? I guess casual, comfort over style, except for shoes. Bring on those sky-highs.
- Would you ever consider doing a blog meet up? Yes I love meeting people I've only encountered online!
- What do you want to be when you grow up? I guess this question is still relevant to me. :p I want to eventually train as a gastroenterologist or endocrinologist.
- What is your favourite shop? National Bookstore! Haha! Seriously I can spend hours in there. Laking National to the depths of my crafty bookwormy soul.
- What is your worst product you have ever bought? Oh man, that would have to be the Nivea Pinkish Boost. Smells like your grandmother's old powder, tastes like plastic. Also looks terrible on me.
In general? Gosh I don't remember...it started way back in the time of Geocities lol. I was an angsty pre-teen posting my ~*poetry*~ online. I smile just thinking about it. Good times.
For general blogging, I can tell they're my favorites because I wish they would post more often: Katrina of Pugly Pixel and Lizzie of Pretty Ugly. And of course I have my Top 5 Beauty Bloggers, especially Liz and Julia.
By the powers vested in me by this imaginary award...
9 (okay, just 8) blogs that I nominateSome of these are irl friends, some are people I've been lucky to meet in person, and some are just plain blogs I like to read, But all are worth having on your radar!
- FrancesYeo.com (personal)
- Mom and Baby (personal)
- All Been Said Before (personal)
- In My Red Glasses (personal)
- Softly Sometimes (beauty)
- The Dalaga Project (beauty)
- Beauty by Tellie (beauty)
- Musings of an OC Mom (beauty and crafts -- a girl after my own heart)
- What do you blog about?
- Name a movie you think everyone should watch.
- Recommend a book you think everyone should read.
- Where is your favorite place in the world?
- What's one cosmetic product you can't live without?
- What's one skincare product you can't live without?
- What do you like to read about in blogs?
- What is one thing you would like to improve in your blog or your blogging (e.g., writing style, photos, layout)?
- What is your favorite thing to blog about?
- What is the most difficult thing for you to blog about?
- What is one thing about blogging that frustrates you?
Well that was narcissistic! If I haven't tagged you but you want to answer any of the questions, please do! Comment with a link to your entry below so I can collate them.
Credit: Liebster Award graphic